Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mammoth Caves National Park


Abe and I wanted to make it a point to go to Mammoth Caves before we left Kentucky. We were able to go last weekend.. and we were so happy we made it a point to go. Without researching what it would be like, we had no idea what to expect. We decided to go on two tours, The Historic Tour and the Frozen Niagra Tour, which were both so fascinating!
We learned while going on the Historic Tour that all the caves are dry, as most are usually wet. We went on a two mile tour and went 360 ft. underground. There is actually a river that flows beneath the 360 ft. we were already at. One of the things I found most interesting was that 200 years ago they had slaves working in the caves mining saltpetre out of the dirt for gun powder. It just so happens that they started mining and discovered the saltpetre around 1810 and it made it so we won the war of 1812.
Also, there was a slave, Steven Bishop, who started exploring the caves. He wanted more than anything to be able to go back to Africa and to become a lawyer there. Steven knew the caves very well and was able to record 15 miles of passages by memory. There was one part while Steven was exploring, that he could not get across. It was so deep and he would even through rocks down and couldn't hear them hit the bottom. Steven, and many others, believed there was no bottom to this pit.. and today it is called "The Bottomless Pit." It turned out there was just sand at the bottom of the pit, that's why no one was able to hear anything. Someone was willing to pay Steven enough to but a ladder across the pit and crawl across. Luckily, Steven made it over to the other side. Years later, Steven's owner granted him freedom and he was finally free to go back to Africa. Steven actually decided to stay and explore more of the caves, and after two year died of tuberculosis.
Abe and I learned so much and couldn't believe how massive the caves were. There are 365 miles of caves and there are still more being explored today.
If you are ever looking for a family vaction, Mammoth Caves is DEFINITELY worth traveling to see. There's a lot to do in the area with nature trails, bike trails, canoeing, and more.


6 comments:

  1. Man alive, Grace, you guys have some great experiences. I love how the two of you like to go see and do whatever is near where you live.

    That is fascinating about Steven Bishop. Amazing that his head could remember all the mapping. Really amazing when you think he did it by candlelight or lantern light or torch light or whatever kind of light they used back then. I'm so glad you told us about the history of the caves, it's prominence in the war of 1812 and the mining.

    I miss you. I'm so glad for the things you see and tell. Thank you. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Grace, that was fascinating. I was hoping you would just go on-and-on telling me all the things you learned there. I loved the pictures of you guys. What a fun place to visit. I am so proud of you for you and Abe seizing the opportunities of living there. I'm aspiring to be more like you in that way. You are SO good at living in the present time. I seem to be either living in the past or the future. Thanks for the wonderful update.
    Cali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Gracy! That was a cool story. I'm so glad you and Abe went. And I love the pictures (especially your headband!)! Thanks for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That sounds like tons of fun! Your new background is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so fun, there are so many amazing things to see around our country that I don't even know about! I've never heard of these caves but if we're in the area we will definitely check them out. By the way.....I miss you!!! :) Did you still go to the Phillipines over Christmas? If you did I need to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete