Since arriving at Fort Carson, I've had the goal to climb Pike's Peak. I planned on hiking it in the summer of 2011 with my friend, Drew, but we kept on getting duty on different weekends and couldn't ever make it happen. I had planned to try again in the summer of 2012, but my deployment to Afghanistan ended up getting in the way (and Drew moved away). While I was in Afghanistan, my friends (Chris, Ryan, and SFC Ward) and I decided we would do it when we got home. We knew that Ryan and I would be leaving Fort Carson soon after getting home, so that meant we would have to do the hike in the winter. That being said, we decided to do the hike via the Crags Trail on 7 January 2013. SSG Yoder also decided to join us for the hike. The hike ended up being much harder than we anticipated. We were all fine from the strength and muscular endurance standpoint, but once we hit 12,000 feet, we started dragging (getting used to 3000 feet elevation in Afghanistan wasn't helping any of us). We were only able to walk about 100 meters at a time before we had to stop and catch our breath and keep from getting too light-headed. Because I had kinda spearheaded the hike, everyone (including me) was cursing me for deciding to do this. Everything I had read put the hike at 6.5 miles one way for a 13 mile round trip. My GPS said we walked 8.5 miles up the mountain (plus an additional 1.5 miles we walked thanks to a bad sign to make it 10 miles). Thanks to this miscalculation, we hit the summit much later than we planned. We arrived at the peak at about 2:30 and scarfed down as many donuts we could before heading back down. We knew we were in trouble of walking back down in darkness, so we bummed a ride part way back down the mountain. Luckily, that got us back down to our cars right as the sun set and we were able to get home safely. All in all, this was a much harder hike than we had anticipated, and we all swore we would never do it again.
Looking back, I'm kinda thinking that I want to hike Pike's Peak again.
This is early in the hike when we thought it was pretty easy.
(L-R, SSG Yoder, Ryan, SFC Ward, Chris)
The views going up were pretty awesome.
SSG Yoder struggling to make it across a mostly frozen stream.
Chris and Ryan are smiling, but they're secretly cursing me under their breath as we approach the timberline.
SFC Ward isn't even trying to pretend he's happy about the hike at this point.
This was the looks on each of our faces as we realized the trail went straight up the mountain as it gained 1000 feet in elevation.
It was pretty cold once we hit 13,000 feet. The wind was blowing pretty good, and the temp hit -10 with windchill.
Proof that we made it. 14,110 feet.
Everyone was much happier coming down.
Hitting the timberline on the way down was much better than when going up.
Looking back, I'm kinda thinking that I want to hike Pike's Peak again.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOh. man. The pictures are beautiful! I love your captions below them as well. Are you going to have to find a new hiking crew if you DO do it again?!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you love hiking. Who knew you would like it so much? It fits your personality though so I should have guess it.
I'm glad they have a sign at the top so there is no doubt in your mind that you made it. Did you really only take donuts to eat at the top?
I still get a bit uneasy when I think you may not have had a ride to help cut it short a couple of hours. So glad you were smart, learned a lot on this hike, and were kept safe. Any other fourteeners in mind yet?
Thanks for posting this.
Next up . . . Hawaii! Can't wait to see those pictures.
I may be able to convince them again, but I doubt we'll have time to do it again.
ReplyDeleteThey sell donuts up at the visitor's center at the top. They were pretty good.
This post made me laugh and laugh. I liked that everyone was cursing you for talking them into it. I loved that you made it to the top and gorged on doughnuts. I loved that everyone was much happier going down. I loved that someone forgot to put their long-underwear on and so they froze the whole time... so funny... they had it with them, but forgot to put it on before they left the car. BUT, most of all, I loved that you ended it with I think I want to do it again.
ReplyDeleteHoly cow! Congratulations! You deserved a lot of donuts for that hike. I loved seeing the evolution of people's attitudes through the pictures, like Cali it made me laugh and laugh. I hope you find more mountains to climb...actually I guess it will probably be harder to find people to climb them with, so I hope you find more friends instead.
ReplyDeleteThis looks like a lot of fun! Kudos for braving it in the winter!! My favorite picture is of you all realizing the trail went straight up the mountain. I love the unknown's of doing stuff like that. It makes it so much more memorable. If you ever need a hiking buddy, you know I'm just down the road (kind of) over here in Wyoming. There are plenty of mountains around here and I'm pretty sure I heard them calling your name the other day...
ReplyDelete