Abe and I can officially say we've gotten through two deployments. We can also say that Abe has been gone 2 of the 3 1/2 years that we have been married. Let's just say, we are loving every minute of being back together again!
Abe came home at 3AM on December 8th. We were thrilled to have had all of Abe's family come down to Colorado to welcome Abe home. It was a wonderful reunion and it felt SO good to have Abe home safe and sound... and to be able to hug him again. After the homecoming Abe and I surprised his family with his promotion ceremony to Captain and I was able to pin his new rank on him. It was exciting for me, too, since the last promotion was when he was in Iraq. Abe was so happy to have made it home in time to watch the annual Army/Navy game... even though Army blew it at the end.
We enjoyed a wonderful, relaxing weekend with the Payne family. After losing A LOT of sleep from the homecoming in the middle of the night, everyone enjoyed naps throughout the weekend, football, lots of good food, good conversations, and fun games. Last year we started a new Payne family Christmas tradition, so we were able to celebrate two years in a row... which was absolutely perfect. Each family comes up with three gifts, choosing things they enjoyed throughout the year, and gives those things to each of the other families. It's so much fun seeing what everyone comes up with. We enjoyed getting favorite foods, books, games, and other favorite things. The weekend could not have turned out any better!
Abe and I have mostly relaxed since he's been home. I was just happy to get an early Christmas present this year. We are looking forward to spending two weeks in Hawaii the end of January. We will spend a week on Kauai and a week on Oahu. We are so excited!!! We have a lot going on after getting back from Hawaii. We will be moving to Fort Benning, Georgia in March for six months, where Abe will be attending the Captain's Career Course. Then will be moving again... hopefully to Fort Lewis, Washington, afterward.
We had our good friend, Chelsea Heap, take pictures for Abe's homecoming. She did a great job and we wanted to share them all with you. Hope you enjoy!
Abe's mom and dad waiting for the Soldiers to enter.
Our reaction while listening to "God Bless the USA" STILL waiting for the Soldiers' entrance.
A little embarrassing for me to look at now...but I couldn't contain the excitement when all the Soldier's finally came in. This was all so very surreal!
My mother-in-law, Jane, helping me find Abe. It's worse than playing "Where's Waldo?"
Abe is to the left of the short guy in the center.
The brigade commander prior to dismissing the Soldiers.
I knew exactly where to go when they were dismissed, unlike the last deployment. This is the moment that makes up for being separated the last 9 months!
I LOVE this picture. Abe looks up to his dad so much!
I really missed Abe's hugs when he was gone. He gives the BEST hugs!
...and kisses!
SO happy! :)
Waiting for the promotion orders to be published.
Mr. & Mrs. Captain Payne!
We can't thank family and friends enough for helping and supporting us throughout the last year. We love and appreciate you more than you know!
Yahoooo, yahooooo, yahooooo! Oh this is such a great post! Great subject and great photos. I love that picture of me pointing to Abe. Remember how I could never pick him out at the parades at West Point and you had to find him for me? I just loved all these photos. Chelsea is really, really good.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you two are back together again. I do hope Fort Lewis is in the works.
Thanks for posting . . . and making it public!
I love this soooo much! Congrats Mrs. Captain Payne :)
ReplyDeleteOh WOW. I am tempted to print and frame each and every one of these pictures!!!!!!!!! I just love this soooo much. It made me cry from the very beginning.
ReplyDeleteThat was SO fun to read. The pictures were great as well. What a great day, and so glad you guys are back together (physically). Wahoo for homecomings.
ReplyDeleteYAAA!! Welcome home Abe! I think we need to see you two before you take off for Georgia. We are neighbors now...state neighbors anyway. :o)
ReplyDeleteGRACE! I found your blog through Abe's mom's blog (does that make sense, lol) I love this post, it gives me butterflies in my stomach thinking about Nathaniel's homecoming in a couple of months (p.s. Fort Lewis is on our top three choices of posts to go to after Captains career course as well :) I hope you both are doing wonderful! and welcome home Abe!
ReplyDeleteSheesh! This made me cry! And I was THERE!! The picture of you and Jane with her arm around you is one of my faves!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the promotion! Those pictures are gorgeous, you'r hair is so long and beautiful I love it. I bet you guys are so happy to finally be together again, enjoy every minute of your 2 week vacation coming up! :)
ReplyDeleteGrace! Wow! What a post! I had goosebumps the whole time. What a success you guys have accomplished! I can't believe the separation, dedication, and sacrifice you guys have been through. Loved how your friend captured those priceless moments...I can't imagine WAITING and then seeing all those amazing men enter in uniform. So neat you are celebrating by going to HAWAII and you look amazing! So happy for the two of you.
ReplyDeleteMiss you so much!
heather
p.s. I am due to have my baby in less than 4 weeks and so wish you were here to be with my kiddos...such good memories!
Welcome home, Abe! I think Addie may have left a message on your phone the other day. She is just so excited that you're home. :) Grace, I love the pictures, and I'm glad you posted them. I couldn't look at them for very long or else I would start crying. You two are amazing! And I am so excited for you to move to Georgia! I'm planning a trip already. :)
ReplyDeleteThose pictures are SO fun! I miss you Grace. I am so glad you are back together again and can enjoy some time with each other. Lots of love from us!!!
ReplyDelete