Abe and I were blessed to have his family there with us for a couple days before he left. It felt so good to have them there and they helped me pack up our stuff so we could move it back to Washington. It was nice to be with family after Abe left and to know that I would be with them for the next year.
Abe left of March 21, 2010. It was a hard and sad goodbye. I know this is not going to be an easy year having him gone. I just want Abe to know how proud of him I am. I am so thankful to have a husband who is brave, strong, humble, and just simply amazing. I am so honored to have a husband who is willing to serve our counrty, and who is willing to defend the constitution and our rights as Americans. I am so happy to see Abe fulfilling his dream that he's waited so long for. Please be safe and know that I love you so much!
When Abe graduated from BOLC 3, back in Kentucky, a couple of the military wives and I recieved a plaque with this poem on it:
I Am A Military Wife
Author Unknown
I am a military wife - a member of that sisterhood of women who have had the courage to watch their men go into battle, and the strength to survive until their return. Our sorority knows no rank, for we earn our membership with a marriage license, travelling over miles, or over nations to begin a new life with our military husbands. Within days, we turn a barren, echoing building into a home, and though our quarters are inevitably white-walled and unpapered, we decorate with the treasures of our travels, for we shop the markets of the globe.
Using hammer and nail, we tack our pictures to the wall, and our roots to the floor as firmly as if we had lived there for a lifetime. We hold a family together by the bootstraps, and raise the best of 'brats', instilling in them the motto: "Home is togetherness", whether motel, or guest house, apartment or duplex. As military wives we soon realize that the only good in "Good-bye" is the "Hello again". For as salesmen for freedom, our husbands are often on the road, at sea, or in the sky, leaving us behind for a week, a month, an assignment.
During separations we guard the home front, existing until the homecoming. Unlike our civilian counterparts, we measure time, not by years, but by tours - married at Petawawa, a baby born at Gagetown, a special anniversary at Uplands, a promotion in St Jean. We plant trees, and never see them grow tall, work on projects completed long after our departure, and enhance our community for the betterment of those who come after us.
We leave a part of ourselves at every stop. Through experience, we have learned to pack a suitcase, a car or hold baggage, and live indefinitely from the contents within: and though our fingers are sore from the patches we have sewn, and the silver we have shined, our hands are always ready to help those around us. Women of peace, we pray for a world in harmony, for the flag that leads our men into battle, will also blanket them in death.
Yet we are an optimistic group, thinking of the good, and forgetting the bad, cherishing yesterday, while anticipating tomorrow. Never rich by monetary standards, our hearts are overflowing with a wealth of experiences common only to those united by the special tradition of military life. We pass on this legacy to every military bride, welcoming her with outstretched arms, with love and friendship, from one sister to another, sharing in the bounty of our unique, fulfilling military way of life.
Oh Grace. This makes my throat hot all over again.
ReplyDeleteI will never forget the look on your face as you guys said good-bye to each other. You could see that you were telling more than your husband good-bye, you were telling your very best friend and your baby's dad good-bye.
He's a lucky man to have you giving him lift in everything he does. You are such a support and a compliment to him. Thank you a thousand times over for being such a good wife.
And....you are brave. You were so composed and strong when he left and you are so happy and upbeat each day while he's gone. Only 48 weeks left.
I love the military wife's creed. I appreciate all of you military wives/husbands out there.
Gracey this just made me cry. I'm so glad Abe has you and that you have Abe forever. I'm so proud of both of you and think you are both so amazing for doing this. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI love you.
Gracely-Lou, you really are brave! I love your faith and courage! I keep looking to you as the wonderful example you are! Really, in everything! Thank you for being the wonderful person you are! You have so many people that love you and would do ANYTHING for you....at any given time! Although we can never really know everything you and Abe are going through, we can still be here for you...I hope you know that Travis and I keep you two in our thoughts and prayers and would really do anything for you. All you need to do is ask, and we'll find a way to get it done. :-) I love you Grace! Thanks for being so brave!
ReplyDeleteseriously everytime I have seen that picture i start to Bawl. like tears running down my cheeks. You are brave! Everytime I pass your driveway I get a little welled up. I think my husband was a little worried last time we made the trip up to Moses because I just started to cry when we passed your road. he asked what my problem was and i just said I am so thankful for people like you and Abe who are fighting for our country and that my heart hurts a little bit thinking of how I could never let my husband go. so thank you for having the courage and bravery for us all. I am actually headed to moses lake tomorrow. maybe i will run into you...but then again maybe I should steer clear because I would probably just fall apart like a phsyco! I swear the more kids I have the bigger of a bawl baby I am over EVERYTHING!
ReplyDeleteOh Grace! I love and admire you and Abe both so much!
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing Grace. AMAZING. I admire you so much.
ReplyDeleteGrace, I just realized my comment to this post never saved. I came out to reread this post of yours. I just want you to know that there's a reason we (Ray and I)call you AMAZING GRACE. I am so amazed at the grace with which you handle hard tasks. I've never seen a name fit someone so PERFECTLY as you. You are gently strong. You are delicately resilient. I am SOOOO grateful that you and Abe found each other. I know he needs you... and that you need him. I know he takes good care of you and you take good care of him. Thank you for being my sister.
ReplyDeleteCali
I am so excited to get to know you better. I like you already!
ReplyDeleteGrace,
ReplyDeleteAbe was a member of the gifted/talented class in Filer and I was the instructor. I always knew he was destined for greatness. He was so bright, but he was always willing to help other students in such a caring way. Abe is one of those students who will always remain in my memory and in my heart.
I have the the highest degree of respect for those who serve our country in the military. Please tell him that I am so proud of him and that his service is appreciated. There really is no more meaningful service than to protect the Constitution and citizens of the United States.
At Filer Elementary School I have been the director for our walkathon project for 12 years. A few years ago when the 116th Brigade deployed to Iraq, I wanted to the students to understand how important their service was and I wanted our students to make a donation to the children of Iraq. The teachers challenged the students by pledging for every dollar that was brought in for the walkathon, the teachers would donate a pencil. That year we collected over $20,000 and almost 25,000 pencils as well as other school supplies. The supplies were delivered by the military to our National Guard Unit and they distributed them. That lesson was one the students will always remember.
The Fourth of July is my favorite holiday, so when our family gathers to say the Pledge of Allegiance, there will be a prayer in our hearts for you, Abe and his wonderful family.
God Bless America and the outstanding men and women who serve!
Vicki Leach